Sunday, July 5, 2009

Tales of a Teacher


Inauguration Day 2009

Professional books and teaching supplies have been boxed up and safely stored away...computer files and emails deleted from the classroom computer...cupboards, shelves, and desks cleaned in preparation for the new school year...and memories of a year of teaching tucked into the recesses of my mind; available to retrieve whenever a smile is needed. It's been a full and rewarding year...my first full year in the classroom...teaching a group of bright, active 2nd graders!

Who knew when the the classroom door first opened last fall what the year would bring. Children bounded in, eyes wide with anticipation and nervousness. Although excited to begin my first full year of teaching, I, too, wondered what lay ahead. Who knew that we'd have to deal with the death of an aunt... an uncle... a grandmother. Who knew that one student would move away, a new student would arrive, a baby sister would be born, divorce and even the prospect of homelessness would affect us.

I did not realize I would be at school every morning by 8:00 a.m. and leave many evenings at 8:00 p.m., using my weekends to grade assessments, projects, homework packets, and report cards. I was surprised by the number of personal issues students had to work through with one another, and how much time I would be spending as a counselor and mediator. Much of my year was spent contemplating effective classroom arrangements, setting up classroom meetings, and building classroom community. As a substitute teacher you are afforded opportunities to watch teaching styles and try out classroom management techniques. When you finally have your own classroom, you pull out your bag of tricks, only to find that "one size does not fit all." You throw out some things, keep what works, and ask advice from colleagues. You learn to be flexible and to change if change is needed. As a teacher I found myself always growing and evolving, which is why teaching is never boring! Everyday is a chance for redemption and new beginnings.


Who would have thought when the school year started how much fun we would have! In particular I remember the time during a health lesson when we were discussing the amount of sugar in soda drinks and how it was possible to make your own carbonated drink from 100% fruit juice and carbonated seltzer water. As I went to take the top off the carbonated seltzer water, carbonation forced the water to squirt high into the air. We all went silent for a few seconds and then the whole classroom, myself included, burst into laughter! Or how about the time I was in the middle of teaching a lesson when a squirrel (who had come into our building foyer from outside) raced through our classroom in an attempt to find its way back outside. Or the time in science when we made rocket balloons and we decided to have the boys race against the girls. I was trying to emphasis that the race was all in fun, so there would be no hurt feelings. Spontaneously, some of the girls decided to get construction paper and make signs to hold on the sidelines saying "Go Boys" and the boys made signs saying "Go Girls." It became an opportunity to have fun and cheer one another on. Or how about the time I read the poster wrong at school for the dates of "Crazy Hair Day" and "Hawaiian Day" and our class ended up being "Crazy-Haired Hawaiians?" The laughs were many!

There were a few tears. Students were quick to offer tissues when I read them a story, "Thank-you and Good-bye" that always makes me weepy. We had to deal with sadness and hurt feelings during the year. In the end, I hope my students knew how much I cared for them and how much I will miss not being there with them next year.


I hope my students know how proud I am of all their efforts this year. During this Presidential election year we learned about good citizenship and the voting process. We gave "I Have a Dream" speeches and learned how to sing and perform "We Shall Overcome" using sign language. We learned about poetry, Reader's Theater, and performing for others. We learned how to research our cultural heritage and to share what we learned with one another. We learned about compassion and that "There's Nothing Wrong With a Three-Legged Dog!" We also learned how to set goals and reach those goals!

I wish I could share with you some of the hundreds of photographs taken that chronicled our year, but in order to protect the innocent (and some of the guilty -- *smile*) I will not be posting them online. I anxiously await the scrapbook one parent is making me this summer.... pictures of many smiles and lots of good times. I know that I will always treasure this scrapbook and the memories of my first full year of teaching second grade. I learned to be counselor, mediator, nurse, mother, field trip coordinator, cheerleader, and much more. I learned to know my students and their strengths well. They taught me what it means to be a teacher and for that I will be ever grateful.


"Teacher Dorothy"








1 comment:

Gretchen Lehde Nixon said...

This is a beautiful story that brought smiles to my lips and tears to my eyes. Only a substitute longing for the time you so eloquently captured could appreciate your words like I do.
Love,
Substitute Gretchen