Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Azores Adventures

We’ve finally found some time to chronicle our latest adventures with Tio Armando. He’s been so wonderful driving us all around the island. He calls us his “Tres Marias.”
We are Maria Uma, Maria Duas, and Maria Tres. I think he enjoys our company and I know we enjoy his. He’s always teasing us and we’re always laughing and teasing back!

The last several days have been packed with touring the island. As I mentioned in my last blog entry, much has changed since I visited the summer after the 1980 earthquake. The buildings damaged at that time have been restored and everything is looking beautiful on the island once again. We visited the Matriz Church where my mother and father were married in 1956. The church was built in 1456 and my mother remembers the 500th anniversary celebration. Today the inside has been beautifully restored. We were all quite in awe to stand near the altar where my mother and father said their vows to one another over 50 years ago.

Yesterday we hiked down a volcanic tunnel (Algar do Carvao) that is situated near the center of Terceira Island. It was formed after eruptions 3,000 and 2,000 years ago. The Azores Archipelago was formed as a result of these volcanic eruptions and walking down the cavernous tunnel felt like we were hiking down to the center of the earth. It was quite amazing! Last evening we spent at the Praca De Toiros in Angra do Heroismo watching the bullfight. The cavaleiro on horseback was very skilled. Six bulls were used during the performances. People showed their pleasure by throwing flowers to the cavaleiro. I tried to talk my sister Lisa into throwing her bra into the ring, but she hadn’t had enough Sagres yet! Sagres is the most popular cerveja on the island.

Today we went to the Museu Do Vinho in Biscoitos. Armando told us that the best wines of the Azores are made in Biscoitos. The winery looked very old and the museum exhibited antique wine presses. Grapes were growing on the vines as we walked through the arbors. It was quite beautiful. We sipped on some of the local wines and enjoyed the beauty of the area. Nobody has been able to tell me why the town is called Biscoitos…which means “biscuits” in Portuguese.

Speaking of biscuits, dinner tonight at Elmiro and Alice’s home was “muito bom”. All of the vegetables in our meals have been grown in Elmiro’s garden. The tomatoes are so red and full of flavor! He even makes his own tomato paste at home. It was very interesting watching him cut up live “lapas” or sea limpets. He cuts off their heads and eats them raw….yuck! Even Elmiro has to eat a small clove of garlic as a chaser!

Tomorrow I am looking forward to touring Lajes Air Force Base where my dad was stationed. Mom is planning to show us the small house where she and Dad lived off base with me when I was a baby. I am also looking forward to meeting my Tia Ana and her husband tomorrow night for the first time. They are flying out from Cambridge, Ontario.
The next few days hold some final adventures for us….a running of the bulls in town (tourada a corda) and on the beach included! I know I will have memories to last me the rest of my life. I know I will be leaving a piece of my heart behind!

Boa Noite,
Dorothy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).